Many people don’t consider going through a root canal treatment as they assume the process is going to be extremely painful. But if your dentist has suggested a root canal treatment for you, the chances are you’re already experiencing pain in your tooth due to a cavity, crack, or infection. It doesn’t matter what you believe; root canal treatment will undoubtedly provide you with long-time comfort. The process can ease your toothache. When you contact a reputed dentist, you don’t need to break your bank to afford the root canal treatment. Continue reading the article to learn more about root canal treatment.
What Is Root Canal?
Root canal treatment is one of the most popular nonsurgical procedures that are effective at repairing the infected or cracked tooth. An endodontist will perform the root canal treatment. Root canal treatment aims to get rid of the dead tissues and bacteria inside the tooth. The process will also preserve your tooth so that you don’t need to go through the extraction process in the future.
Apart from examining the condition of the tooth and discussing it with you, the endodontist will complete the root canal treatment in two processes: removal and restoration. The root canal treatment cost does not depend on which tooth you’re planning to address. Remember that the dentist will remove previous restoration work from your tooth so that they can investigate more thoroughly. If you’re planning to go through root canal treatment, make sure you find an Oyster Bay dentist near me.
What is the Average Cost of Root Canal Treatment?
The average cost of the root canal treatment is dependent on numerous factors such as:
- The location of the tooth
- The dentist you’re choosing
- Whether it’s an emergency or not
- Whether your dental insurance can cover it or not
- Where you live
- Whether you’re going through the treatment process for the first time
As front teeth are easier to address, the root canal treatment there will prove to be less expensive. However, addressing the premolar or bicuspid teeth will prove to be more expensive. On average, root canal treatment can cost anything between $1000 and $5000.
What Will be Included in the Root Canal Treatment Cost?
When you pay for the root canal treatment, the cost will cover all the other factors, such as anesthetic fees, X-ray, and treatment or procedure of the root. However, keep in mind that you might need to pay a separate cost for the consultation. Additionally, the cost of the root canal treatment might not cover the final tooth restoration, such as a crown or new filling.
Depending on the situation, your dentist might advise you to go for a crown. When you choose a dental crown, it will enhance the survival chances of the tooth. Even though the crowns are not expensive, the price is dependent on the materials.
Should You Go For Root Canal Treatment?
This is one of the most common questions people ask before they undergo the root canal treatment process. If you’re suffering from an extreme toothache, root canal treatment might be the best option for you. You can also choose to extract the tooth altogether, but you might need to face an expensive dental implant process.
Root canal treatment also has its own advantages and disadvantages. When you know about them, you will be able to decide whether the treatment is perfect for you or not. Here are the advantages of root canal treatment you should know:
- You will be able to preserve your natural tooth. Not to mention, you can also eat and drink like you used to.
- You won’t need to face different types of dental problems such as toothache, swelling, and tooth sensitivity due to heat or cold.
- Unlike extraction, root canal treatment will be a less painful process.
- Unlike the replacement or extraction of the tooth, root canal treatment involves less expense and time.
Here are the disadvantages of root canal treatment:
- You might need multiple visits.
- You might need to take antibiotics after the completion of the treatment.
You can clearly see that the pros of root canal treatment outweigh the cons. Therefore, if your dentist recommends it, you should consider undergoing the procedure without any issue. As per Healthline, pain from root canal treatment won’t last forever.
What Questions Do You Need to Ask Your Dentist about Root Canal Treatment?
As mentioned earlier, root canal treatment’s cost might depend on various factors. This is why you need to make your decisions based on the questions you ask the dentist and the answers they provide to you. Here are the essential questions you should ask:
- How many root canal treatments do the dentist performs every year?
- What is the success rate of the treatment?
- How many appointments your root canal treatment will take?
- Do you need to choose a crown? What will be the cost of it?
- What possible problematic issues can you face during the treatment process?
- Can your insurance cover the treatment?
- If the insurance covers the partial cost, how much do you need to spend from your own pocket?
What is the Longevity of the Root Canal Treatment? How Long Can You Leverage Its Benefits?
The primary objective of root canal treatment is to provide permanent relief. However, sometime the tooth might require attention years later. This is due to the reason that the tooth has been inflamed or infected. You also need to address the tooth if you start experiencing pain again. You might face such a situation due to:
- A new infection
- A damaged crown or tooth
- Waiting too long to install a crown
- Improper initial treatment
In such cases, you must go through the tooth’s re-treatment process. The dentist will remove the crown as well as any other restorative materials so that they can get access to the interior of the tooth. This way, they will not only be able to investigate but also clean it properly. After that, the dentist will refill the canals. However, they might recommend endodontic surgery if the canals aren’t accessible for deep cleaning.
This is everything you need to know about root canal treatment. Make sure you let us know if you have any other queries.